1What is executive check-up?
It is a specially designed set of blood tests to find out efficacy of various organ functions. It include blood counts & tests for diabetes, cholesterol, liver, kidney, coronary risks.
After you reach middle age, you should get your executive checkup done once a year.
2What are coronary risk factors?
Age, Sex & Family background are non-modifiable risk factors. Modifiable risk factors are diabetes, hypertension, smoking, obesity, total cholesterol & fractions - Apolipoproteins, Homocysteine, CRP, Stress, Depression, Peronality type & physical inactivity.
3 What are essential health check-up tests?
- Blood glucose test
- Cholesterol test
- Tests for anaemia
- Vitamin deficiency check-up
- PAP smears
- Colon & prostate cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Body mass index
- Bone density
4How do I protect myself & children in monsoon from illnesses?
Observe following :-
- Maintain personal hygiene
- Have a clean surrounding - Do not allow stagnant water in you vicinity
- Use mosquito nets - in windows & doors
- Use mosquito repellents
- Use hand sanitizer regularly
- Stay away from direct contact with sick person (use masks)
- Keep up body hydration by drinking water & fluids
- Stay away from cold street food & canned (stored) food
5Which diet I should adopt?
There are many fad diets - low fat, low carb., ketodiets, high protein diet etc. They may lack major nutrients & antioxidants. Banning certain food may lead to craving and later binging.
There are no good or bad foods, but good & bad eating habits. Dieting should be about cultivating good eating habits according to the need and one should follow dietitian's advice.
6What precautions are required for lipid profile test?
Person should be fasting - preferably 12 hours. There should be abstinence of alcohol for two days.